Elizabeth Property Services

Quality Residential Letting & Management

tel: 07775 706 823
email: info@whitbyresidentiallettings.co.uk

Bills - Who Pays for What and When?

When working out how much rent you can afford to pay you also need to take into account all other associated expenses you will have responsibility for. 

The main ones are Council tax, Gas and/or electricity bills. Water Rates and the cost of any internet and TV connections. If you are living away from parents for the first time, you also need to think about the cost of food and household requirements in addition to your lifestyle costs! Check the energy providers and Scarborough Borough Council websites for an idea of cost so you get a realistic idea of what rent you can afford.

It is usual for Landlords to cover the cost of property repairs and, if white goods are provided and subject to the cause being normal wear and tear, the cost of replacement or repair of these is usually born by the landlord. However, if the tenant causes any internal damage the cost to remedy this is the tenants responsibility. It is a requirement when taking on a tenancy with Whitby Residential Lettings that the tenant takes out Accidental Damage Contents Insurance and provides evidence of this. You can find out more About this type of insurance via any Insurance Broker.